Old June 18th 18, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Grand Teton Crash

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 10:31:51 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
The correct information on articles are JJ Sinclair's excellent article "Don't Smack the Mountain", and Henry Combs article entitled "That Beautiful Mountain and Her Sinister Trap: A Possible Explanation for Some Unexplained Ridge-Soaring Crashes". Not sure why i couldn't remember and thus transposed. Both are a wealth of information.

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 9:13:49 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 6/15/2018 2:03 PM, Bob T wrote:
Snip...

Sad indeed. Clear air, cloudy, or stormy, This is why I spent a long time
researching and then writing the 10 page article in Soaring Magazine a few
years ago titled "Rogue Air". Every once in a while the air can sneak up
on pilots and cause an upset, sometimes fatal. My upset came in clear air
with a few cu. Luckily, I pulled out at about 500' agl and was surprised
the wings stayed on. It just wasn't my day to go. For others, it's their
time, and our time to be sad, yet remember all the good of those that have
moved on.

http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/...b_Thompson.pdf

Excellent article with 'some darn good pictures' as well! Well worth Joe
Glider Pilot's reading time and continuing ponderation. I base my assertion on
having encountered 'rogue air' a number of times myself in gliders, and being
fortunate enough to not have bent or broken anything (or died, humorless
laugh) in those encounters...though two instances were 'somewhat in doubt' in
my mind *while* they were happening. Eyeball defocusing turbulence and 3,000+
fpm sink will definitely get your attention.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Here's some Links to those two articles:

The first is by John Sinclair, well known Northern California cross country and competition soaring pilot, sailplane builder and repair man (the article is at the end of the Valley Soaring Newsletter):
http://valleysoaring.net/pk/windsock...p%2007-v21.pdf

The second is by now legendary soaring pilot and one of the engineers who designed the A-12, YF-12 and SR-71, Henry Combs:
https://ee.stanford.edu/~hellman/soaring/Combs.pdf