Old June 5th 20, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

One of the issue that is not talked about a lot in the glider community is intentional noncompliance. In no way am I implying that this is the case in the crash we are discussing - I am trying to figure out why this scenario is reoccurring in the glider world and believe that intentional noncompliance could be a factor.

I’ve witnessed it as a professional pilot and have seen it in the glider community.

Here is an accident that really highlighted it for professionals: https://nbaa.org/wp-content/uploads/...rt-AAR1503.pdf - if you don’t feel like reading it through basically a Gulfstream crashed on takeoff and the gust lock was engaged and control checks were not done - creating several problems. The interesting fact was: “ Further, a review of QAR data revealed that the flight crewmembers had neglected to perform complete flight control checks before 98% of their previous 175 takeoffs in the airplane, indicating that this oversight was habitual and not an anomaly.” QAR = quick access recorder, like a flight data recorder.

There is some good information he https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operations...ing-the-risks/

The glider community is shrinking, accidents are up, insurance costs are up and a lot, if not all, of the accidents/incidents are the same causes that are always analyzed, rehashed, argued about and then blame is cast around but we can’t seem to fix it.

If there is to be a future we have to find a way to rectify these reoccurring problems. It’s a “sport” that kills more pilots than US Naval Aviation does per year, they fly jets, on and off boats, a lot more and obviously in more hazardous conditions.

We have a lot of work to do.

Regards, Tom