Old May 28th 21, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:12:34 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 10:20:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have imported to the USA 7 of the 17 referred to by 2G
over the last several years. All, save one, have been sold.
We are working on licensing that last one. There is the
possibility of importing more from Europe, but the market
here has been sort of stagnant in the last couple of years.
No buyers around until a 2-seater gets crashed. Then they
need a replacement and start looking around, only to find
out there's not much available to suit their needs and
pocketbooks. The Blanik L-13 wing spar A.D. created a
vacuum in the lower cost trainer spectrum. Operators have
largely filled that void now, so the market appears close to
equilibrium at present.

Mike Opitz
RO

John, I'm sending you a PM about availability.
RO
Thanks. So I'm assuming one would need to pursue current owners to see if they would consider selling, as I dont' see any currently for sale on W&W (a number of Twin IIs , but no Twin 1s).

If you are not afraid of dealing with the authorities on both sides of the pond and a shipping broker in between, take a look he https://www.segelflug.de/osclass/ind...&sCategory=140
Some trainers there to pick from.

Uli
'AS'

Yep. Thanks. I was just looking at that. Even in Europe, it seems there is precious little available in glass trainers for under $40k, let alone under $25k. Maybe if we just wait long enough, enough glider pilots will die off or age out, and enough clubs will fold up, and the popularity of soaring will drop enough, that those glass trainers will be so hard to get rid of that the prices will drop (assuming they are not crashed or damaged during this wait). I'm not holding my breath though.