Old June 24th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

On Jun 24, 2:54*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Da...b0608/DA-09-12...

FYI - One of our proactive members found this article about an FCC
fine of $9,000 against the Texas Soaring Association (TSA) in Lubbock
TX because their airport's radio license had expired. *It appears what
tripped this trigger was the TSA complaining to the FCC about
"interference" on 123.3. *Boy, did that backfire.

We looked into it and my own gliderport's license had also expired -
which we are *QUICKLY* fixing. *You might want to look into that at
your port.

It is unclear to me if the license relates to 123.3, or the frequency
on the sectional or a general FCC license that a particular airport is
legal to broadcast, or a combination. *I also don't understand if this
has to do with the base station, handhelds, airplane radio or totally
unrelated to the hardware being used. *I do know that my own use of a
radio in my glider no longer requires an individual license.

I'd also like to understand what controls the use of 123.3 (or 123.5)
which I have been told is for "training" use. *True? *By whom? *The
FAA? *FCC? *Note that the FCC complaint says that TSA complained about
interference from "commercial jets inbound to Lubbock, Texas" (on
123.3) which surprised me.

Any information about how the FAA/FCC handles airport licensing would
be interesting.

My $0.02.

- John DeRosa

AC90-50D, Aircraft Support is the FAA designated use for both.

We verify our license at the first regular meeting of the newly
elected board annually. Make it an order of business item for seating
all new boards. IIRC ground stations licenses are good for 10 years.
For those clubs not having a club house/hangar where you hold the
meetings, make it a January agenda item.

Frank Whiteley