Old June 28th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Gliderport Fined $9,000 over Use of 123.3Mhz

Does anyone know what the Fee is for the 10yr FCC certificate application
for a base station or mobile mount?

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 5:52 pm, "r.t.s." wrote:
I pulled this from the FCC website:

Licensing

On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket
No. 96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for
all aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general
aviation aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not
need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency
locator transmitter (ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically.

I guess TSA must have a base station. I am not sure what type of
license is needed for hand-held radios.
Someone should contact TSA and find out the details.

Did you read the link provided? That's a lot of details already. They
unfortunately made two mistakes, the first was not renewing the
license, the second of which was right up there with the Pegase owner
asking the FAA about airframe hours and inspections. I think there is
a moral here about not asking government bureaucracies for help unless
you know your ass is well covered.

Information on base station licensing and handhelds etc. is all
documented on the FCC web site. e.g.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...craft_stations

To operate a handheld or car mounted mobile etc. outside an aircraft,
e.g. by a glider ground crew, you need the same license as TSA did not
renew i.e. a Ground Station Authorization for Aviation Support
Services. I was goign to start a submission for a handheld to see how
painful that was on the FCC ULS website, but it's down for nightly
maintenance... (I presume the only justification for how bad ULS is as
a Web application is the development went to the lowest bidder).

Darryl