Old August 28th 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

He flew with two other paragliders last Saturday and hasn't been heard from since:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...evada-2104357/

This is very unforgiving country to be flying over. You can walk for an entire day and not see another human being. There is no water or shelter to get you by. It requires the utmost preparation before venturing out into it, communication being at the top of the list. I have been flying gliders over this country for over 10 years and have been involved in retrieving glider pilots who have landed out in this country. Take my word for it: you MUST not underestimate how brutal this terrain is. These paraglider pilots weren't fully prepared for the task. After Oroc/Johnston (which is it?) went missing there was a significant delay in contacting the sheriff's office to begin a search - they had to be instructed to do so by another glider pilot in Ely. They had no aviation radios to communicate with other aircraft. There was limited communication between the paraglider pilots themselves, using short range consumer radios. It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly involved in.