Old June 8th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
R-Haggerty

Default Training Needed?

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:47:24 -0700 (PDT), Andy wrote:

On Jun 8, 2:15*pm, R-Haggerty wrote:

If your rating is unrestricted it was most likely not properly issued.

Nonsense!

In 79 I passed an FAA private flight test using aerotow. I was issued
private glider aerotow only. Later I passed a commercial flight test
using aerotow. I was issued commercial glider aerotow only. In 1981 I
passed commercial and CFI flight test using winch lauch. I was issued
and still, have "Glider" with no restriction on launch type. FAA does
not require me to have any further training to fly any glider launch
type including self launch, since I acted as pilot of command of a
self launch glider prior to the "grandfather" date.

My certificate is "unrestricted" and was properly issued.

Andy

That may be fine for you since you flew a self launch prior to the Grandfather
date, but the original poster did not mention that he flew self launch or any of
the other launch methods prior to the "date". I have seen DPE's issue a glider
cert without the "aerotow only" clause by mistake. Do you think the FAA
questions the application or do they just go ahead and process it.