Old March 7th 04, 02:42 PM
Pechs1

Ed- The AF does keep the birds clean and the list of delayed discrepancies
short. That doesn't happen on the boat as much because of supply
issues (at least from this long distance view). BRBR

A corrosion cycle also meant a complete respray. 2600 or so maintainers for a
wing of 72 A/C...'bout twice what the USN would have on a CV...PLUS AIMD for
the USAF..lots of folks, very regimented.

I wrote the sked, 'forgot' to list BDUs for my own hop of 3 'cones' and me
leading. 'Expeditor', senior enlisted on the line, NEXT to a bomb cart and crew
WOULD NOT load my 4 A/C...another trip to see the Wing Commander. heaven forbid
they got a 'deviation'...but we lost 4 sorties.

Ed I'll let you brag, but would have to put a great big "that depends" on
the claim. In those days before ACMI, there was a lot of loudest guy
wins the debrief. BRBR

The 'D' model was first and foremost a bomber, conventional and nuke, no doubt
about that. These guys could bomb, both visual and radar..But the emphasis was
right there, not on ACM.

The F-15 was a whole different animal, like the Turkey, an A-A machine. I would
hope these guys could fight it..But the older guys in my squadaron were Thud
drivers and such...

Ed-
I'll also mention a couple of
times I x-country visited a USN base and had to change out of flying
clothes before I could leave base ops to get to quarters. BRBR

Should have did what I did...I said I was USN, that mystyfied them enough that
I could generally do what I wanted. Just say USAF, and strut out. They have no
control over you on a USN base.

BUT loved the tour as I said. Good JOs and good COs are the same everywhere.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)