Old November 1st 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default ELT antenna in composite planes.

Dave,

It was about a couple thousand feet above ground - about what I
locally fly. And it was probably more than 60 miles range. Up at 12K
msl above Washington state mountains had one digi got me about 100
miles. My rough comparison is with normal radio aircraft reception at
say 8000 msl - aircraft to aircraft communication fizzles out about
60? miles. So the ducky isn't bad "transmission" range in direct line
of sight situations. But it seems bad in reception.

Yeah the current APRS catch is the HAM license. Wish somehow it was
easier to get a tracker for GA use. APRS tracking can be a great
safety factor.

On Oct 31, 10:32 pm, Dave S wrote:
wrote:

60 miles coverage on the ground? to what elevation of a receiving
antenna? Details.. details..

As for APRS.. while I applaud it, the "catch" is that you have to have a
HAM radio licence and ham radio equipment to utilize the existing VHF
packet network.

Dave