Old March 20th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default more horsepower

With the floats, you can go to a bigger prop, with a flatter
pitch to allow higher RPM at take-off speeds, but top speed
will be reduced slightly because you won't be able to have
as high a manifold pressure without over-revving the engine.
If your O-300 has a constant speed prop option (hollow crank
or perhaps an electric prop) you would gain better take-off
power and cruise speed.

The O-300 C172 is pretty old and float operating is a high
stress operation. You might be better off finding a C172
with the factory float mods and structural bracing/upgrades.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"T-Bone" wrote in message
oups.com...
| hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my
Cessna 172
| O-300 and need some more Horsies........not
drag........any ideas