Old December 15th 04, 09:49 PM
Stan Prevost

"Mitty" wrote in message
My current plan is to carry the NACO books but to print out plates for

intended
destination, alternates, etc. As my NACO subscriptions expire I intend to
investigate the Air Chart system for the NACO books as it is cheaper and
probably sufficient when I am basically looking for a backup.

That's what I currently do! :-) My partner and I each buy the full US set
each year. I have only made a couple of diversions to airports that I
wasn't very familiar with, both due to engine trouble, and in neither case
did I have time to pull out the AirCharts updates publication and pick
through the cryptic information to see if there are any updates to be
applied to the charts. There is barely time to find the charts for the
unplanned airport, even with my wife assisting from the right seat. I want
a system that is lower cost, always current, and faster to access. The
SmartPlates product meets the first two criteria, I intend to evaluate the
product to see how it does relative to the third.

Stan