Old November 26th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Airlines Cut Minimum Pilot Experience to 500 hours and Below

On Nov 26, 1:56 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Gatt wrote:

Right now they're not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel. The
current market for new regional FOs is about what it was during the last boom
period in the late 90s (when many also lowered the minimum hrs. to 500).
Rather than raising salaries, the airlines can just lower the experience
requirements to tap a reserve of potential recruits that wouldn't have
previously applied.

Not even close! During the last boom the A list commuters never got
below the ATP. Another thing you are ignoring is that at these wages,
commuters (And Majors) are not retaining people. NASA just did some
work on this and found out that 20% of pilots under 40 were planning
to leave the industry over pay and working conditions.

Supply and demand really does work. Previously, the regionals ate up the
supply of 800 hr. potential hires, and just lowered the requirements to
increase the supply to meet the demand. Granted, there is a limit to how
low they can go, but the 500 hr. minimum has been used before, so it'll
probably stay until the market changes.

Way too simplistic. At some point they will run out of dedicated
profesionals who are willing to do the job with current conditions.

I'm not so sure that upping the pay would make a great difference.
Assuming that they raised the starting pay 50% (a pretty hefty increase,
percentagewise), how many more qualified applicants would jump out of the
woodwork to fly for 30K/yr. instead of 20K/yr. My guess is :not many.

It will take more than $$$$, thats for sure. I think the kids starting
out need to see marked improvement in working conditions, pay and job
security, or they will just go do something more meaningful for a
living.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)