Old December 14th 07, 11:05 AM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default On Topic old tidbit - seems valid?

On Dec 13, 9:18 pm, "a425couple" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote

"a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --
and similarone,
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near
the USS Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

Well, a second source seems to be at:http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html
where it says in part:
"Page 72

The U.S. side of the Commission also presented information on the 25 May
1968 crash of a Soviet Tu-16 "Badger" in the Norwegian Sea. During working
group sessions held in April 1995, the U.S. side turned over the Deck Log
and Command History of the U.S.S. Essex for May 1968. At the Twelfth Plenary
Session in August 1995, the U.S. side passed to the Russian side film
footage of the crash of the Tu-16 taken from the U.S.S. Essex as well as a
written eyewitness testimony of this
incident.

In April 1995, during working group sessions, the U.S. side passed over the
deck logs of the U.S.S. Bennington from 1 July 64 to 31 July 1964, the deck
log of the U.S.S. Cunningham from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964 and the deck
log of the U.S.S. Eversole from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964. These deck
logs all pertain to the crash of a Soviet Tu-16r "Badger" on 15 July 1964 in
the Sea of Japan."

and a third source:http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/sovietunion...jc_apr_rpt.htm
that states in part:
"The U.S. side has provided videotape, artifacts, and a formal report by the
U.S. Co-Chairman of the Commission in plenary session on the loss of the
Soviet Golf-class submarine which sank in 1968. The U.S. has also provided
information, deck logs and videotape on the 25 May 1968 crash of the Soviet
Tu-16 Badger in the Norwegian Sea; deck logs of U.S. naval units in the
vicinity of a 15 July 1964 Soviet Tu-16 Badger crash in the Sea of Japan;
documents and photograph relating to the loss of a Soviet twin-engine bomber
on 4 September 1950 off the coast of Korea; and information on Soviet
advisers captured in the Ogaden in 1978."

So, cynical as I may be of misinformation on the internet
getting dispersed wildly, these seem at current glance
to be widely separated from seemingly valid enough sources.

This is a little bit like hearing that there was a major car crash on
your street 43 years later. If you read the oral history the ship I
was on did a "stealth" run up to the Vladivostok area. We were copying
the fleet covered broadcast, it is very unlikely--like impossible--
that something like a Tu-16 crash in plain sight of three U.S.
warships, also operating in the Sea of Japan, would have failed to be
sent on that. We were getting drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines
and Vietnam events as well as the classified stuff. Makes you wonder.