Old February 5th 05, 03:29 PM
John Theune

Aviv Hod wrote:
I thought this will be topical for the piloting newsgroup because so
many of us grew up carefully assembling plastic aircraft models. How
many of us had them all over our rooms growing up, anticipating the day
we can go flying on our own?

It seems that the ubiquity of models in kid's bedrooms might be
threatened by manufacturer's demands for royalties for the intellectual
property.

http://www.ipmsusa.org/MemberServices/FutureHobby.htm
http://due-diligence.typepad.com/blo...ectual_pr.html

This isn't all that cut and dried in my mind - it just seems wrong.
Especially with military contractors that spent our tax dollars to
develop these machines, it seems to me out of line to ask for $40 in IP
for a $15 plastic model. This could very easily kill the whole
industry, leaving thousands of kids that would otherwise spend their
time and energy constructing flying machines and imagining themselves
taking off into the wild blue yonder to do something else.

Yeah, it won't dissuade the kids that REALLY want to fly, but overall it
could have a negative effect. We need more pilots, and I would argue
that building these models has a measurable effect on the number of kids
(and adults!) that end up pursuing flying.

Any thoughts?

-Aviv Hod

I read the cited material and find it hard to argue that model makers
should not pay a licensing fee of 1.5% of profit from the sale of a
model. I can't understand how you came up with a fee of 40.00 on a 15
dollar kit using the numbers cited in your reference.
Even if the profit on the kit was 50% or 7.50 the fee would be on the
order of 11 cents. If you copy someone else work for you to sell at a
profit you should pay for it just like any other raw material used in
the production of the model. I also found it interesting that you argue
that the design was paid for by US taxpayers and therefor should not
need a license while the lead spokesman cited by you is listed as a
importer on model kits. If he's importing models to sell in this
country I think its safe to say that the models were not built by
American companys but rather foreign companys and that defeats your
arguement about who paid for the original development.

John