Old April 13th 04, 09:02 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:32:26 GMT, Chris
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:15:25 -0400, "Doodybutch"
wrote:

I am think of having one of these Air/Oil Separators installed on my R182
(Lycoming O-540) at annual this summer.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Do they actually work and keep the oily mess off the bottom of the plane?
2) I think there are at least two different ones available - which is the
best?
3) Are there any problems with them?

Thanks,

DB

The following is an excerpt from Sacramento Skyranch's monthly
newsletter (hopefully not breaking any copyright rules here). Quite an
eye-opener on the whole Air/Oil Separator issue. The Sacramento
Skyranch website is at www.sacskyranch.com and is full of very
interesting info.

I strongly disagree with them based on experience although with a
bigger engine.

I have the Deshannon air/oil seperator on my IO470N. I also use a
preheater and once the temperature is cold enough to use it it stays
on 24 X 7 except for when the plane is flying. The oil companies used
to say not to do that. Now they say it's a good idea. course the
engine compartment is also completely wrapped with two layers of the
new space age blankets.

The oil stays clear until near 20 hours. The cylinders look like they
were polished on the insides.

That and the ABS mechanic spoke highly of them.

OTOH mine is mounted on the rear of the engine and that sucker gets
hot.

Like many things some swear by them and some swear at them.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com