Old July 20th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge FR, Sector OZ, Badges

On Jul 19, 2:37 pm, 5Z wrote:
On Jul 19, 10:01 am, wrote:

Cambridge FRs are "hard wired" to the Cylinder OZ. I have a 302A CFR.
Does that mean I'm stuck with Cylinder OZ's, or can you "declare"
intent to use Sector OZs in some way when making badge flights?

There is no need to declare the type of OZ to use. Just be sure that
all your TP approaches are of the same type.

Are you using a PDA to navigate from the data stream provided by the
302A? Then the PDA map will get you to the right place.

I don't recall whether the 302 can be set up to beep when within a
predefined distance to the TP (I have a 302, but use the PDA to
navigate, so never bothered to see if that was possible). If it can,
then you could use it to fly a cylinder OZ type task.

If you want to fly a sector OZ type task, then you must have at least
a display that provides bearing to the TP that will help you get to
the right place. If you have no display, then your TPs had better be
easily identifiable places, and you must be very sure you are in the
OZ before changing course.

If you are using a different source of GPS info, perhaps a handheld,
to navigate, then you must again be sure not to barely clip the OZ, as
the two GPS devices could be off by a few hundred feet. So even
though the handheld unit claims you were barely within the OZ, the IGC
FR may still be showing a position outside the OZ.

-Tom

Okay,
What I THINK I'm getting here is that IF I flew into the Sector for
the Start, Finish, and any Turnpoints, then I'm okay. That works for
me. On the flight in question, I had ASSUMED that Sector OZ's were
the default. Accordingly, I didn't bother to fly directly over the
turnpoint, since by that time I had decided to go far beyond it, and
would consequently be spending a LOT of time (roughly an hour and a
half) in the Sector before heading back.