Old January 18th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Sticking Lycoming O-360 valve again?

: Other suggestions? I'm figuring to pull off the rocker-box covers, push on
: the valves, and see if I can feel friction in any of them.

Still haven't done this (probably won't have time until the weekend). I am
trying to amass some parts to facilitate the quickie valve job. I've talked with my
mechanic and gotten ahold of SI1425 (i.e. "rope trick") and SSP1776. They *appear* to
specify the valve guide stem of 0.4985" for my O-360. SI1425 seems to give three
different reamer sizes for the nominal 1/2" size. I assume one would want to go with
the smallest (0.4985-0.4995) if possible, and only move up to the larger
(0.4995-0.5005, 0.5000-0.5010) if necessary.

I've also read that it's pretty easy to screw up the guides with the reamer,
which I would tend to agree with. They're *made* for cutting, and all I'd be trying
to do is get the carbon off. I've seen people recommend one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/bx8l3
... seems like a good way to have an adjustable, non-cutting type way to
scrape off carbon in the valve guide without taking off bronze.

I will of course be doing this with my mechanic, but I just figured I'd ask
the collective wisdom of the group on this. Good way to go?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *