Old May 1st 08, 01:34 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.soaring,alt.satellite.gps
5Z

Default SPOT should be ashamed

On Apr 30, 4:52 pm, Pat Russell wrote:
WHY DOES IT REPORT ONLY TWO OF THEM?

Because this is a rescue device.

When is it ever necessary to rescue someone floating in mid air?

SPOT was designed for HIKERS, and I'm sure they think it's perfect. I
carry mine in the car when driving between Denver and Colorado
Springs, as mobile phone coverage is spotty if you get more than a few
miles from I-25. If I need help while soaring, it will be on the
ground.

If it was designed for pilots, it would cost at least 3 (10?) times as
much and do half of what this one does... :-(

But there's always hope that a more pilot friendly device can be built
on top of this one by adding a few more buttons or at least changing
the firmware. They will likely charge a bit more for the service as
we'd like to have a better chance of our live track getting received,
so it will need to send more position reports, thus cluttering the
bandwidth, etc...

-Tom