Old July 2nd 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

On 7/2/2018 11:28 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Snip... The only time I have been in an over the top spin was
in one particular 2-32 only from a slip to the left. Allow this particular
2-32 to get slow in a left slip and over the top you went. Would not do it
from a slip to the right and I had always been thought that an aircraft
will not stall from a slip. Unfortunately this glider is not with use any
more and I have not been able to get any other 2-32 to do an over the top
spin entry from a slip.

If this was not N232PC, for a long time (until the early '90s?), my club had
a(nother?) 2-32 that would do the same thing...a quite eye-pleasing orange and
yellow as I recall. Memory says it was eventually sold to the (last)
Calistoga operation.

It also routinely/'abruptly' dropped the left wing whenever stalled.
Amazingly(?) - so far as I was ever aware - it was never damaged as a result
of either trait during the club's ownership. Yes, every club pilot checked out
in it was thoroughly briefed/exposed-to both 'quirks' prior to solo signoff...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com