Old July 23rd 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Dream Panel

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 9:36:26 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
Circuit breakers (not fuses)
ROY

I don't have a comment on which instruments to purchase. I only want to agree with Roy on circuit breakers over fuses. Also I feel that you should not use small value breakers (or fuses) less than 4A or you will pay a price in lost volts.

I prefer 5A+ combo breaker/switches (i.e. Tyco W31) over plain breakers. Tyco's are bulky as compared to Klixon but the Tyco eliminates a separate switch and a additional failure point. I don't agree with using a plain breaker as a switch.

One other thing I like separate on/off switches for those avionics that don't have their own internal power off capability (I have two such devices - ClearNav and FLARM Core) to be able to reset a device or if you need to save dwindling power at the end of a long flight.

Best of luck.

John OHM Ω