Old March 24th 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Glider Accident Video

On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 11:12:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Said to be a recent aerobatic accident in Germany. No known details. Can you translate what is said at the end of the video? What is the glider type?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm66k3F1bv8

Everything I've read about aerobatics in German and English says:

1. Always follow the rules (he was too low for legal aerobatics coming off the winch).

2. No aerobatics in non-aerobatic aircraft (unless you're Bob Hoover).

3. Don't exceed limits - yours or the aircraft's

A low pass requires speed. Speed requires altitude. Did you see how low he was as he crossed the trees between aerobatics and starting the low pass? He barely cleared THOSE trees.

Vocabulary thought - is a low pass an aerobatic figure? I think this is a landing accident after an aerobatic flight, not an "aerobatic accident."

Properly done aerobatics have a decent safety margin. When the margin is gone, so is the safety.

The report says they came off the winch at 300m. I plan for an average height loss of 200 feet (70m) per figure. EASA prohibits aerobatics below 450m. Two loops and a hammerhead/stall turn consumed the better part of 200m. This was an accident waiting to happen long before it happened.

The report includes screen captures from a previous iteration of a low pass where the pilot has exceeded Vne...

This sort of garbage is why some clubs oppose aerobatics.

Terry

Terry