Old August 18th 05, 08:25 PM
George Patterson

Greg Copeland wrote:

How many run their tank(s) dry as part of their fuel
management strategy? If you don't run dry, why not? Aside from the heat
beat skipping which is sure to follow the first couple of times, what's
the down side to this strategy?

I do not. The examiner for my PPC recommended a variation of this -- he said to
switch tanks every half an hour. He said "When the tank you're on runs dry,
you'll know exactly how much is left in the other tank." Well, I wasn't going to
argue with him, but what if it runs dry two minutes after you switched? You'd
better be on final approach.

As for the down side to this strategy, that's what killed Will Rogers and Willie
Post. Willie used to fly on one tank until it ran dry and then switch to the
next. The tank he was on ran dry a few hundred feet up on takeoff.

George Patterson