Old July 27th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_1_]

Default what headset to buy

wrote:
I'm not looking to pay top dollar but I'm willing to spend the money to
get something good and comfortable - I don't just want an entry-level
headset that I'll want to replace before long.

My first set was a fairly crappy Telex that I loaned out some years ago never to
be seen again. My second headset (purchased before the loan of the crappy Telex
set) was a high dollar David Clark 10-80 (I think) that's no longer made. I
still use them as my primary headset.

I had a need for a second headset for a friend to use when he flew with me and
so while I didn't want to spend a lot, I didn't want crap either. I ended up
with some Marv Golden's that have worked out really well. I had occasion to use
them on a flight myself when my David Clarks turned up missing a ear seal just
before a flight; I was very favorably impressed. These are headsets that you
can enjoy for years and then relegate them to one of your passengers if you
choose to move up to ANR at some point in the future. Unlike the David Clark
10-40 that they copied, the Marv Golden MG-40s are comfortable, even on my fat
head.

As for ANR, I've never felt the need. I hear just fine with the well sealed
Marv Golden and David Clark headsets.

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/mg40.htm

$89.95 shipped.

--