Old May 13th 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Things we don't teach to beginning glider pilots:

1. Don't kill the towpilot – Release immediately if you lose sight of the towplane or have any control problems.

Careful, that 'don't kill the tow pilot' lesson can put tow pilots at risk.

In my primary training, release if you loose site was taught, but the reasoning was about collision and not tying a bow around something.

Kiting is not obvious until you know about it.
Training needs to talk through that reasoning behind the rule.

This includes both the possibility of overwhelming the tow's elevator authority and for CG pilots, the glider's.