Old November 5th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default PowerFLARM

On Nov 5, 10:28*am, David wrote:
Paul,

Nice page and info. Thanks!

I am wondering about the antennae in the brick version.

It says: "remote antennas". Is the intent that the antennae be
attached directly to the brick or be remote *to* the brick (as
in transponder installations)?

Either way, it raises interesting installation challenges.

If attached to the brick, of course it raised questions about how
good reception/transmission will be if the brick is installed in/
behind
the instrument panel (together with a bunch of other metallic
objects).

If remote to the brick, the challenge is similar to a transponder,
routing
coax, finding a good place for the antennae, securing them, orienting
them, etc.

David

The antennas on the brick really will not be able to be used behind a
typical instrument panel. They will need to be mounted above the
panel. This is not different than current Flarm products from third
parties (e.g. the Red Box) that allow mounting the box behind the
panel. And all those products warn you don't put the antennas behind
the panel.

I believe on PowerFLARM there a second Flarm antenna port (so you have
two flarm and one 1090ES) if the owner wants to this would usually be
used with a flarm antenna outside the glider and one above the panel.
If there is a transponder antenna external you will do not want an
external flarm antenna installed close to that. The reason for the
option of installing a second flarm antennas is they operate at much
lower power then transponders or 1090ES. I expect most brick users
will start with the flarm and 1090ES antennas that come with the brick
mounted above the instrument panel and see how that goes. I don't know
exactly what antenna/cabling will come with the brick but I'd expect
the types of stub antenna and short cable with SMA connector that is
supplied for the RedBox Flarm and similar to the "remote" antenna
option for the Zaon MRX.

Darryl