Old January 5th 17, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iain Baker

Default JS3 chatter

At 07:29 05 January 2017, krasw wrote:
I think this was dicussed earlier, but judging from the photos JS3
fuselage=
shape is extremely close/identical to JS1 which is "borrowed"
aerodynamica=
lly from ASH 26. I do not wan't to downplay the importance of new
structure=
, wing-fuselage junction and several other detail improvements,

and the
des=
ign work associated, but general shape still looks identical to '26.
Making=
small size cockpit is just plain stupid, people are not getting

smaller
in=
future.

It is not a small size cockpit.

Doubt that anyone has ever described Oscar Goudriaan as a small
man yet he has flown at least five 1000km+ flights in his JS1, flight
times up to eight hours. His brother Laurens is larger and at times
has had back problems, yet has flown multiple flights of 750km+ in
his JS1. If the cockpit was cramped then they would not have been
able to do these long flights - and not at such high speeds with
impaired decision-making due to discomfort.

There was a Dutch JS1 owner who - if I recall correctly - is at least
1.96m tall. That's 6'5"...

Gordon Boettger is also 6'5" and has commented that "after
removing the seat back and still wearing a parachute, I was able to
comfortably fit into the JS1. I wouldn't think that 9-10 hours in the
glider would be a problem."