Old October 6th 03, 02:09 PM
David Megginson

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

This will be my first year with an instrument ticket, and I'm wondering if
I can fly these trips.
Questions:

1. How high up do those bands go? Can I go over them without oxygen?

2. If I can't go over them, do they produce airframe ice?

I'm interested in the same questions, but further to #1, I was
wondering if anyone can post a complete-idiot's guide to using
portable oxygen in an airplane: everyone who writes about using
oxygen, either online or in aviation books and magazines, seems to
assume that the whole process is simple and obvious.

I know that people who fly in the mountains learn this stuff from day
one, but as a flatland pilot, I've never even talked with a pilot who
uses portable oxygen, much less used it myself (I've never flown over
9,000 ft MSL). I'm not even sure how to get started. I've heard of
canulas, and I know that some people use welder's oxygen, but that's
pretty-much it.

All the best,

David