Old July 13th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

Default Sad sad story for the Tomcat fans (Caution, disturbing!)

In article , "rstro" wrote:

I think it's sad that our own military cannor gaurantee that the parts would
remain at ARMAC-

are they scared Binny is going to sneak off with parts???

probably a Boing conspiracy to make sure that a better aircraft doesn't
replace the super bug(g)

Better?
I have systems in both a/c, but I'd have to go with the Bug at the moment.
Three times (!) less maintenance per flight hour.
Much more modern avionics.
The Superbug's radar is actually better than the APG-71
Both old and new bugs fire AMRAAM, the F-14 cannot.
It doesn't matter how much more range it has if you can't keep it in the air.

More than likely they are worried about some nitwit senator ordering
them resurrected as they did the SR-71 after it was retired, and thereby
wasting large amounts of money better used elsewhere.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur