Old February 7th 11, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
binks

Default ASW20 or LS6

On Feb 6, 3:11*pm, T8 wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:39*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:

On 2/6/2011 9:54 AM, David Smith wrote:

Memories are funny things Eric, you forgot the LS6 won 4 world
championships, in 85, 87, 91 and 93 the ASW20 won once in 81 coming second
to a Ventus in 83 at Hobbs. But that is not to decry the 20, at 30 years
old it "IS" best bang for your bucks and still holds its value.

I didn't forget that - my remarks were personal observations from flying
against L6s recreationally and in contests, and reports from other LS6
and ASW20 owners doing the same. I have also observed the ASW27 is
noticeably superior to an ASW20, and that is why I don't lump the LS6
with the 27, but put it with the 20.

You're both right. *Except that to suggest that any given glider did
the winning is just silly. *The nut on the stick does that, always.
What he wins *in* is generally "the ship du jour", which is as much a
feature of fad and fashion as anything else.

Eric, your observations leave out what (second generation) winglets do
for the 20 -- not for the least reason that the original droop tip was
a real aerodynamic dog.

Modern tweaks on the 20B render a surprisingly competitive glider in
15m. *Ask UH, it goes.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Yes I too would be interested in what improvements are made with the
added winglets. One of the 20B's I am considering has the aftermarket
winglets added..still 15m ship after winglets were added.