Old April 14th 11, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Blue Ridge Crash

On Apr 13, 8:07*pm, L33 wrote:
Well I know it's been said many times before but ... Please recognize
that many pilots of Std Class gliders will always start takeoff roll
with airbrakes open.

Having owned and flown an L-33 (glider type cited by Cookie), I never
needed to use spoilers for takeoff because the ailerons were so
effective at very low speeds. So was the intentional use of spoilers
confirmed or is this just another theoretical discussion?

Horst

The facts as to how the spoilers came to be open on climb out have not
been presented. The only thing we know is
that they were not closed and locked at soem point after take off.
The most obvious, and likely, is a blown checklist.
It's Spring and everybody is rusty. We all have to remember that and
be extra careful and thorough.
UH