Old November 6th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Andrew Gideon

Default This year's annual

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 23:28:52 +0000, A Lieberma wrote:

I think that the high copper count doesn't necesarily mean anything
drastic...

It was the "significant change" from prior analyse that is causing
concern. The company faxed over the report and suggested to contact
Lycoming. The A&P feels the way you do, except to keep an eye on it and
get the oil analyzed again on the next change.

We just had a copper issue in an engine (O-360) about 200 hours past TBO.
Mattituck said "fly 15 hours and then retest". The A&P that contacted
Mattituck converted this to "don't fly the airplane until the engine is
overhauled".

Unfortunately, at least enough of my partners took the A&P at his word
regardless of the evidence I found to the contrary (none of which was
conclusive, I admit). They were all concerned that the bearings were about
to seize.

I'm certain that, had this engine been younger, the reactions would have
been more reasoned. But there's this incredibly strong belief,
apparently, that at TBO an engine should be taken out and shot. Even if
they do "know better" than this, the slightest problem is an excuse to
pull the overhaul trigger.

I'd be very interested to learn what the source of copper is in your
airplane's oil.

- Andrew