Old November 23rd 16, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default World Contest - 15m class

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 18:16:58 UTC+2, Sean wrote:
The 26 is a beautiful glider so at least they have good taste.

Agreed. No matter what the story is (there is always two sides of coin), AS did not willingly donate the aerodynamic shape of '26 fuselage to competing manufacturer.

So, the ASG29 was not truly new when it was released ten years ago. My registration actually says ASG 27-18

That is just paperwork. Factory has to pay annually to EASA for every type-certificate data sheet it owns. Schleicher has over 20 of these, Airbus only four. So they decided to use '27 data sheet for '29. Sure it inherits a lot from '27, but it is still different animal. I think it was 29 and 18m tips that revealed the full potential of Waibel's original design.

Today, SH designed what is essentially a "new wing" for the V2 and aptly calls it V3! Ta da! The wing is much thinner than the V2s and is intended to run "extremely well" compared to the V2 based on contest flying behavior research. But will it climb effectively in weaker conditions? The same fuselage as the V2 appears to have been used for the V3. This calls into question how large the improvement "can be" as the V2 was already a step behind the 29 and JS1 in most conditions. The V2 fuselage is, obviously, VERY FAT (lots of wetted area) and therefore so is the V3 fuselage. Results of the V3 design strategy are still largely unknown.

Using same fuselage for different types is quite normal. LS1-f/LS6/LS7/LS8/LS10, ASW24/27/28/ASG29, Ventus a/2a/3a/Discus a/2a, ASH26/JS1 etc. I think the Ventus 3 has flown only with a-cockpit, which has lowest wetted area of anything because it is so small. You are confusing Schempp's big b/c-model fuselage with small a-model. Your speculation about V3 wing is based on what exactly?