Old February 16th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default GNS 530 for $1000?!?!? Am I Missing Something?

These guys are pretty convincing! I haven't done an eBay transaction
in a while, so these scams (not scams in general) are new to me. I
hope I'm just naively surprised and that others aren't falling this!

I saw another add for a garmin 296, with 23 hours left and no bids on
it. The add looked professional and didn't have the "five at this
price" hoakiness about it. It was allegedly being sold from
California, and had all of the accessories. Another too good to be
true deal??? I sent an inquiry (using my GMail account), to confirm my
suspicions and got the following response.

I'm willing to sell it for $500 . At this time I am located in Romania
and I can only take the payment through Western Union money transfer. I
will ship within 24 hours from the payment using the UPS Air Services
so that you may receive the unit in less then 72 hours. For our
protection we will do this deal trough ebay square trade company and
our transaction will be supervised by ebay safe harbour team. You will
be 100% protected against description error and fraud. I never make any
deal outside ebay. I will pay the shipping and handling taxes.

Although, clearly a total scam... What's with the "eBay square trade
company", and the "eBay safe harbour team"? I haven't done any
research on this, but I'm assuming it's all out the window once you've
wired money Western Union?

I can certainly see people getting lulled in with a false sense of
security (not most people, but some)...

Bummer!!!

Best Regards,
Todd