Old February 17th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring Birds

You're probably right. Unless I get a close look, or see a crow and a raven
sitting side by side, I have trouble telling them apart.

"BravoCharlie" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 6:16 pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Long ago, I read in Soaring Magazine (I think) that crows don't soar. This
morning, I watched three crows thermalling right outside my living room
window. I went and stood in the window for a couple of minutes and watched
the three of them hanging tight and climbing. After a while, they headed
out on course!

Last summer a friend and I were standing on Sandia Crest watching the
crows
ridge soaring. One in particular was having a great time. We watched him
pull up sharply and execute 3 snap rolls in succession and then reverse
course on the ridge. And, to prove it wasn't a fluke, that feathered
aviator reversed again, gained speed in the ridge lift, pulled up, and did
3
more snap rolls!

I have no doubt - crows enjoy flying!

Now, if spring soaring season would only arrive...

I suspect they were Ravens.