Old February 23rd 18, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_3_]

Default Condor2, inbound on final glide!

At 22:13 22 February 2018, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 7:06:07 PM UTC-8, sisu1a wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/CondorSim/
=20
Condor2 is finally here/around the corner. The new site is up, the old

fo=
rum imported to the new one, and the store is up (buy links not active

yet
=
but prices are there) =20
=20
http://www.condorsoaring.com/order/?cn-reloaded=3D1#
=20
http://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/ (old forum towards bottom, threads

s=
till active)
=20
Yay!

I flew with Condor2 for an hour last night and was favorably impressed.
As=
ide from the graphics improvements, the glider's handling and response
(Dan=
a 2) seemed more realistic. Thermals seemed a bit wider in diameter with
t=
he core lift falling off at a more gradual rate, making it much easier to
c=
enter lift. I always felt the thermals were unrealistically tight in the
o=
riginal Condor. Towing is MUCH better with a longer rope. I set up a
wave=
situation and was able to find and stay in lift. I couldn't get any
lenny=
s to show up though. Flying in ridge lift seemed about the same. The
lack=
of airplanes is a concern, especially since it looks like they will be
sel=
ling individual planes for 8-12 euro each. that might hurt organized
compe=
titions like nightly soaring that count on everyone having the same class
o=
r model of ship for many races. Looking forward to participating in the
fi=
rst real race...

The way the gliders fly is very realistic, even better than the original,
but what a peculiar set of gliders, certainly some are not representative
of modern use. The original was far more representative. No glass training
glider, a Duo is not a basic trainer, not even a K13, and I thought Genesis
was grounded years ago, maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps a marketing ploy, so we
buy new ones.
To render all the work that has been done by keen flyers all over the world
in producing scenery invalid is a bit unkind, I only hope that it is easy
to make the old compatible with the new.
Overall, some good improvements, but can't help being a bit disappointed.
Dave