Old July 24th 03, 03:23 AM
Robert Bates

Default 51% rule

How is the 51% rule line drawn? Let's say for example I want a homebuilt
Comanche with my own choice of engine and I locate a set of plans as well as
the wings and tail feathers from a factory Comanche. If I build the
fuselage from the plans and recycle the wings and tail, is it an amateur
built experimental or a rebuilt factory aircraft? The FAA could certainly
simplify things if they would allow builders to use a proven, certified
airframe with their own engine choices in the experimental amateur built
category rather than experimental R & D.