Old January 3rd 04, 07:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Government retirement DOES come out of current revenue.

At the Federal level. Teachers are typically State or local employees, and these
pensions are frequently funded by investment in the markets. Although not a teacher,
my mother was an employee of the University of Tennessee. Her pension comes from
the proceeds of stock/bond accounts, and the amount of the monthly payments varies
with the performance of the market. The financial crisis in California has impacted
Tennessee State pensions because a large portion of the funds are invested in
California State bonds.

It seems you are using "revenue" and "tax revenue" interchangeably between
private and civil service pension funds. Can you clarify?

I was speaking exclusively of personal experience with pensions in the education
system. In the systems with which I am familiar, tax revenues fund the salaries
and pension plans of current employees. If the system were to close tomorrow,
retired employees would still receive their pensions - the payments do not come
from taxes being levied today.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."