Old May 21st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 3D Solid State Gyro

"AES" wrote in message
Yes, except keep clear that "ring laser gyros" and "fiber optic gyros",
though they both use lasers and optics, and are truly wonderful examples
of modern science and technology, are fundamentally different beasts.

Ring laser gyros are the older technology, with Sperry and Honeywell as
major players in the field at least at one time. I believe they are
heavily used in military and airliner navigation systems, though I'm not
fully up to date on this

Fiber gyros (a k a fiber optic gyros or fiber laser gyros) are the newer
technology, with Litton and Northrup Grumman among the major players,
and are perhaps poised to take over from the ring laser gyro.

Amazing to see what MEMS can do also.

I would think that aviation is getting away from gyros in favor of ADAHRS.

How about these? http://www.xbow.com/Products/product...ls.aspx?sid=30