Old March 25th 04, 12:21 AM
Steve Foley

I spent $19K on a firewall forward (well, while it's apart.................)
on my 1966 Cherokee 140.

"noah" wrote in message
om...
Hi r.a.o guys,
Thru a local ad I found a 1/6th share in a 1969 Cherokee 140
(hershey bar wing). I've done some minimal due diligance on it and it
looks, well, like an old 1969 rental. The nose-wheel cowling is pretty
worn (looks like it's been glued several times) and the paint is
original & drab. The avionics are basic: 2 working VORs, 1 with
glideslope, but it is IFR (certified the correct term?)
The engine has a few hundred hours left and there is approx $6K
saved towards maintenance (the club intentionally doesn't charge
hourly for overhaul).

Here's the cost breakdown:
Buy-In $5,500
Hourly Tach (dry) $10
Fixed Costs - collected quarterly, average $150/owner/qtr +
eventual overhaul

Scheduling is done online, and I hear that only 3/6 partners fly
often and the other 2/6 hardly ever fly. That leaves me:

I want to save money & fly as much as possible, building XC time
before starting IFR training (eventually) and just have fun. The local
"popular" club is west valley www.wvfc.org, and their rates are around
$50/mo fixed + $90-$110/hr for a cherokee/c172. I've only flown
cessna's until now, but really liked the low-wing feel of the diamond
katana.

The plane seems like a near ideal match. I want to fly from
PAO/SQL to places like San Diego, Santa Barbara, Monterey, Mendocino,
Las Vegas - i.e. the west coast mostly... and only then after I build
up some shorter XC confidence... It seems like a good deal, but how
much could a Cherokee 140 overhaul *burn* my pocket? We're going for a
test flight this weekend & that will also help the decision...

Thanks for your advice,
Noah