Old January 13th 04, 12:11 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Bernardz" wrote in message
news:MPG.1a6e8750246e2a66989846@news...
In article ,
says...

This is with a high volume of bombs. I was thinking of much lower rate
of fire.

In 1944 scientist calculated that to achieve a 50% devastation in a city
area of one square mile with a 600 yards aiming error required 250 tones
of bombs. 80% required 600 tones.

I'd suggest this was overly optimistic

Any guess how big a bomb each would be, that they were referring too?

How could I , not having seen the article ?

Basically is there anyway of calculating the size of the blast and
devastation knowing the power of a bomb in a typical city.

I doubt it as there are too many variables. Consider the
very different damage patterns for Hiroshima and Nagasaki
as an example.

I suggest you follow up the references I gave you as they are based
on post war surveys they are likley to be more accurate than anything
published in war time.

Keith