Old January 7th 16, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Jets may be more thirsty than 2 stroke sustainers but the extra power and speed makes the additional fuel cost pale into insignificance - even more so when you think of it a a proportion of the capital and running costs of a new glider.

Electric will obviously evntually win out but battery technology is advancing only slowly compared to other technologies and the capital costs remain expensive. I don't know the cost of FES batteries but I reckon I could buy around 8000 litres of jet fuel for the cost of a set of Antares batteries - maybe more. I used about 100 litres last summer including a lot of testing rather than retrieve use.

( But I do rather fancy the GP14E Velo!)