Old November 27th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default DIY Garmin GPS Internal Battery Replacement (Updated)

It has been over 10 days since the battery swap out. Went flying over
the past weekend after the GPS sat for nearly a week. The clock was spot
on to the second. The unit acquired in the usual 30 seconds. I was a bit
concerned that the heat required to solder the wires onto the battery
may cause some harm (I used a temperature controlled iron with a thin
pencil tip). I will have to see if the battery hangs in there. Given the
replacement I used was 20 times the size of the original, maybe it will
last longer. Seems the original made it about 2 years.

Good Luck,
Mike

..lots o stuff snipped about how to change the backup battery.
I just did the swap on my 396. The descriptions in Terry's links give
you a pretty good overall guide, but I will add a few details.

http://home.newwavecomm.net/bobbyhes...nalbattery.htm

http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/...pic.php?t=4701

Terry N6401F