Old October 28th 03, 06:52 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
Dale wrote:

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

I apologise to the various people who couldn't get to the image because
it requires subscription to the NY Times. The subscription is free, but
I can understand people not wanting to subscribe.

It is indeed a fire fighting tanker. I found a picture of the OV-10,
and this is definately not one of those.

The picture is from head-on, looking slightly up at the plane, so the
tail is hidden behind the fuselage. It is a twin engine, with
three-bladed props, but they don't look like turbines. There's a large
diameter (almost half the diameter of the prop blades) circular cowling
and I think I can make out cowl flaps open. Looks like radial engines.

In the picture, it looks like a mid-wing design, but that might just be
the odd camera angle. Could be low wing. Definately not high wing. It
looks vagely like a DC-3.

Ah, wait, here's the answer. A bit more googling led me to the
California Department of Forrestry (which explains the "CDF" painted on
the underside of the wing) web site, which led me to

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergency...n/Aviation.asp

Looking at the pictures, it looks like this is an S-2A. Wow, in the
pics on the CDF web site

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergency...on/pdf/S2A.pdf

is sure DOES look like a high wing. Strange how pictures from different
camera angles can be so misleading.