Old July 5th 03, 02:43 AM
Giz

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 7/4/03 3:52 PM, in article ,
"Giz" wrote:

Is there waste in the Naval Reserve? A certain amount exists on both

sides
of the fence, and it becomes a matter of where you want to shine the
spotlight, your point of view, and your ability to spin.

One plan I have heard suggested is that reserve aircrews become part of
"augment units" that support active duty squadrons. This raised a few
questions, and I don't recall if they were really answered. How are the
reserve aircrews funded? Who will manage their continued training and
operating within the active duty squadrons? Could such a plan work? I

think
so, but only if the active duty squadrons see the reserves as a benefit

them.

It worked in the 80's. I spent 4.5 years as a Selres in an SAU,

VP-0545.
I enjoyed acdutras with VP-45 in both Rota and Bermuda and got some
quality onsta time. We seem to have forgotten the value of the SAU's.

Giz

SAU is a program that works in FRS's and deployed VP units but not in
reserve VF's or VFA's.

A single-seat pilot especially would have some major trouble working up

for,
traveling to, and flying his ACDUTRA in a deployed CVW for two weeks for a
variety of reasons.

It would be difficult. There are FRS's for the VF/VFA communities. That
may
be one answer. It would definitely be far from ideal.

Likewise, the VFA's are not having the airframe problems that the VP's are
having.

No? The airframe transfer shellgame between deploying squadrons and those
just returning has ended? No sarcasm there. If that has ended, then the
VFA's
are doing well, but the last I heard was that returning squadrons were being
picked
apart to bring the deployers up to full strength.

What I'm saying is keep the reserve VFA status quo. Consider SAU-ing
reserves into the active duty VP's.

I agree that we should SAU all communities that need it. If that allows VFA
and/or
VF to remain as Reserve Squadrons great, but we do need to end the cycle of
aircraft transfers.

Giz