Old June 6th 04, 07:22 PM
Richard Lamb

Richard Riley wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 17:46:41 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

:And help reduce suceptability to carb icing.

I've always heard that, but how?

Carb ice, AFAIK, results from the air cooling as it accellerates
through the venturi, and from the temprature drop from the gasoline
evaporating. Both of those things happen in the carb, before the
fuel/air mix goes through the hot oil-bath intake tubes.

I'm sure there's some heat conducted from the hot oil pan to the carb
itself, keeping it a little warmer. But does carb ice form downstream
of the carb, within intake tubes, in a Cont?

Probably just via conduction of the intake pipes.
They do get quite warm...

All I said was 'reduce suceptability' - not prevent.

Even Lycomings need carb heat at times, but they don't seem
to be as critical as Continentals.

Richard