Old April 17th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Buzzed?

Reminds me ...

a Long Time Ago, while attending summer school at Kansas State on my way
to Wright Field, I hooked up with the Ft Riley Aero Club who had -- 2
Aeronca Champs. So, from flying T-34s in which I earned my private
pilot's license, I get my tail wheel endorsement (that's another story)
- even before such endorsements were required.

Out joyriding one day with a friend, flying down the middle of Tuttle
Creek Reservoir (a 'big' lake for a Kansas boy), cruising at the
airplane's service ceiling (3000 feet or so), we notice that a 'big
machine' is really close off our left wing.

It's a CH-34 helicopter (http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/ch34002.jpg).
They want to talk, but -- the Champs don't have radios; they try hand
gestures but -- my training is Air Force, not Army. With them so close,
and us in our 'really small airplane', my passenger said later he
thought about getting out (there was -water- below us).

We fly down the lake in formation; it seems we're no more than 100 feet
apart. I'm flying as straight and level as I can, except -- when I
sense they are coming closer I turn slightly to the right.

After flying like this for five minutes or so, they raise their tail
rotor and fly ahead of us, and away. All I can think about at that
point is the possibility that this small tube & cloth Champ will get
tangled up in the downdraft above or below that big whirling rotor.

We return to the Junction City airport with no more excitement - we've
had enough for today.

Thanks, folks, for triggering the recall of great memories, and for
giving us a place to share them with an audience that appreciates the
living of them.

george

George Young
Seaford, VA