Old July 22nd 09, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

At 22:01 21 July 2009, tommytoyz wrote:
I see that their main business is making winches and that's why they
charge what they charge. But it doesn't make sense to spend $90,000 on
their cheaper system, not including transportation costs to the US,
when the engine/transmission costs less than $10,000. I mean, $5,000
for a GUILLOTINE ASSEMBLY for over $5,000 on a double drum - come on.

Perhaps the best way to go is buy the bare bones Kit for a "mere"
$44,000 not counting transportation. Any way you slice it, with
Skylaunch, it's not possible to be operational for less than $60,000,
which would include a lot of sweat equity. I think it's a bit much.
Tom

On the other hand you are paying for expertise, development costs and a
machine that is known to be safe, to work well and to be easy to drive.
There is a lot more to a decent winch than just the engine and gearbox.
How much would you expect to pay for a decent towplane?

There are many homebuilt winches lying around rusting because they didn't
work well or were just bloody dangerous. Any money spent on them was
wasted.

As Skylaunch import their engines from the US anyway, it would make sense
to buy them locally rather than shipping them twice across the Atlantic.

Derek Copeland