Old September 2nd 03, 05:43 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"DonDLHMN" wrote in message
I have had people I know ask me about the "soaring thing"....What do you

do
when the wind stops?......etc. I tell them that glider flying is something

like
crossing a stream jumping from stone to stone. Then I ask them if they

have
ever done that...you know, jumped from stone to stone as they crossed a
stream. Certainly, most people say "yes". Then I ask them if they ever

just
jumped up in the air and then looked to see if there was a stone to land

upon.
Naturally, everyone looks at me with a strange look and says..."Of course
not!!" Then I explain that in soaring we go "from stone to stone" only the
"stones" are safe landing places...in other words, you never jump off from

one
safe landing place without the altitude in hand to either make it back or

then
proceed on to the next safe landing place ( the next "stone").

Most people, when they see that glider flying (soaring, as I prefer to

call it)
is not some sort on unreasoning, suicidal passtime, understand that it CAN

be
safe. And, like many things from mowing your lawn to skydiving, your

personal
judgement is quite important in determining the risk level involved.

So, I guess that is my point....develop good judgement and the risk level

is
manageable....fail to develop good judgement in any endeavor and the risk

lever
goes way up.

Don Johnson, Reno,. NV

Don,