Old June 28th 17, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New House Thermal

Take a look at our home airfield now:

Ball Airport
145 Ball Airport Rd, Louisburg, NC 27549
36.134316, -78.281947

(Above address comes from Google Maps)

Notice the tobacco fields to the east and south of the runway (North is up).. They are quite large, but soon, so I've heard, some of the tobacco will give way to solar panels.

Right now, I've never found "boomers" there. I have, however, found some thermals there, and some just strong enough to keep me from falling any farther. Maybe the ponds influence that? Even when the fields are fallow, before the tobacco has been planted, nice thermals are just not normally there.

When the PV panels go in, it will be interesting to know if there's a change for the better...