Old October 20th 12, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Default SSA Board Meeting in Charlotte 10-20-12

On Oct 19, 2:27*pm, Craig Funston
wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2012 9:37:01 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 10/19/2012 8:27 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:57:42 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Very interesting especially this:

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/DHS%...SC%20pilot.pdf

Wow! *I wonder who got the "honor" of that beat-down? *So glad that

our government and law enforcement is there to protect us, even if it

has to kill us to do it.

We have a power reactor and other nuclear related stuff north of us

(Richland, WA). That area has "For reason of national security, pilots

are requested to avoid flight below 1800' MSL in this area". That's

about 1300 AGL. As I understand it, it's just a request, not a requirement.

If they are only two miles from an airport, it seem they would see a lot

of aircraft in the 1000-2000 foot AGL range, either over them or nearby..

Maybe it was the circling that bothered them? In any case, it was nutty

to think about "shooting down" any aircraft that they had time to worry

about. An aircraft with evil intentions would simply fly straight into

the reactor, long before they could arrange any "shoot down".

I wonder what is missing from what we've heard so far; at least the FAA

got it right, as I would expect.

email me)

Is the copy of the AOPA letter available directly from the SSA website or from AOPA? *I've gone into the member's section and don't find it.

Thanks,
Craig

2nd and3rd posts have links to the letter on the SSA site.